Friday, February 24, 2012

Estagiar L- part 2


On islands like Santa Maria, Pico, Faial, Sao Jorge, Graciosa, Flores and Corvo, the program envisages an initial phase of 11 months and an extension of 12. In December of 2011, Tânia Pipa extended her internship in the project "Sanctuary Islands for seabirds," on Corvo island.
"I arrived to Corvo, in January 2011 and despite being minimally informed about the island, the experience I have experienced so far, could not be more rewarding. Professionally, this experience has allowed me to learn and develop my skills in several areas, particularly with regard to marine birds and their conservation, either through restoration of habitat, cultivation and planting of endemic species, which filled Corvo island in the past, or the study of predators introduced by humans, and for which I developed a special interest.
Another aspect of the project, which pleases me, is the increase of awareness to the problem of seabirds, by the locals, especially the youngest, which are also responsible for the success of the project among the population, mainly due to the important role that SPEA plays in environmental education activities.
Due to the harvest moments that we are living, I think that this experience is more than just professional and a daily life in a completely different reality from what I was used, has been contributing to my growth as a person, not only for the good work environment, which thankfully my colleagues give me, but also by the restrictions of living in the smallest island of the Azores, where life is ruled by weather conditions very rigid, and fruits, milk and meat are not always available at the supermarket.
This opportunity is unique and made me appreciate the simplicity of things and give more importance to what really matters.
For all these reasons, programs like Estagiar L are an important contribution not only to the integration of young graduates in the work market, but mainly for the opportunity to grow professionally and personally. "

T.Pipa

No comments:

Post a Comment